Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hosanna?

Yesterday was the first Sunday in my entire life that I did not go to church on Palm Sunday. I was on a film shoot, which was sooo amazing, but I am almost disappointed in myself. Palm Sunday was such a crucial day in biblical history. Matthew 21 describes the citizens of Jerusalem as they lay down their cloaks and palm branches in the middle of the road and shouted "Hosanna in the highest!" A footnote in my Bible says that "hosanna" means "Save!" At this point, Jerusalem admitted that they needed a Savior, saying "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!"

And to think that within a week, those same people would betray Jesus and demand his crucifixion.  It's crazy. We cover up this insanely emotional, spiritual, sad and glorious week  of Easter with imaginary rabbits, plastic grass, new dresses, and white shoes. Maybe this post is cliche, but I really think that the majority of society forgets why Easter is celebrated. 

I find myself overseeing the fact that Christ suffered for me and on Easter, through his own power, was resurrected. I would bet that most Christians forget. Society is almost numb to the seriousness of Easter. Psalm 119:81 reads "My soul faints with longing for your salvation." Why aren't we all fainting?! Why aren't we shouting "Hosanna! We need a Savior!" I want to splash water on the world and say "Look! Jesus conquered death. He is the Savior of the world! Can't you see that?"

Really, I don't want to seem all "holier than thou" because I am basically preaching to myself in this post. Nevertheless, my pray is that this Easter will be different. I pray that we will take the time to analyze ourselves and get down on our knees. Are we really in need of Jesus? Have we forgotten about his sacrifice? Will we make the choice to focus on Him this Easter rather than the eggs?

VIDEO of the Day: Hosanna [the first song our youth band played during a church service!]


0 comments: